Sunday, March 6, 2011

Granny's Showing

Today, Jeff and I dropped Samantha off at my brothers house so we could go spend the day with Jeff's family. First we went to church at the South Columbus Free Will Baptist Church then had a potluck in the fellowship hall. It was a bittersweet time; it was great getting to spend time with the whole family but the reason we were together is sad, really sad. Pa just seems beside himself and it is not surprising considering he was married to Granny for 66 years!

At 3 we all went over to the funeral home for the showing. All the family went 1 hour before the open showing for everyone else. And let me tell you, walking into this room with Pa was nothing short of heart wrenching. He misses his 'baby doll', we all do. But Granny did look really nice. Although she had on a little too much lipstick for Pa's liking so he had them tone it down a bit. I love that he is still looking out for even in death. It is very endearing to hear Pa speak of Granny. He said he was smitten with Granny from the time she was 8-9 years old. Talk about enduring love!

At 4 the doors were open for all the friends to come and pay their respect to Granny. And there was a huge crowd of people that came thru. I was really touched that the Small Group that Jeff and I attend on Sunday night's all showed up! Even though they never knew Granny, they know and love Jeff and I. And it really meant a lot that they came to support us. Also, Jeff's best friend from work, Jay, came which I know meant a lot to Jeff.

Tomorrow we have the funeral at 11 which I am sure is going to be another really long and hard day. I pray the God will send a little sunshine down on us tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment